Boarding schools are often associated with high costs, but there are affordable options available for families looking for quality education in Europe. In this article, we’ll explore 20 of the most economical boarding schools on the continent, categorized alphabetically for your convenience.
Best affordable boarding schools in Europe
American College of Sofia, Bulgaria
- Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
- Annual Cost: Varies based on campus
- Description: A private boarding school in Bulgaria with a focus on providing quality education. It enrolls students from around the world.
Berlin Brandenburg International School, Germany
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- Annual Tuition: €12,000 – €20,000
- Description: BBIS is a coeducational institution offering a variety of educational programs to international students.
Caxton College, Spain
- Location: Valencia, Spain
- Cost of Education: €15,015 – €16,000
- Description: Caxton College is a British School Overseas offering comprehensive academic and social support.
Colchester Royal Grammar School, UK
- Location: Colchester, UK
- Boarding Cost: €4,725
- Description: A state boarding and day school with a focus on fostering independence and academic success.
Coworth Park School, UK
- Location: Ascot, UK
- Grade: 13 to 18-year-olds
- Description: An excellent boarding school in Ascot, Berkshire, providing high-quality education.
Dallam School, UK
- Location: United Kingdom
- Tuition: €4,000 per semester
- Description: Dallam School is a coeducational public school with a mission to foster a passion for high-quality learning.
Erede International Boarding School, Netherlands
- Location: The Netherlands
- Annual Tuition: €7,875 – €22,650
- Description: A traditional boarding school in the Netherlands emphasizing academic achievement and a positive mindset.
ENNSR International School, Switzerland
- Location: Switzerland
- Annual Tuition: €12,200 – €24,000
- Description: ENSR stands for École nouvelle de la Suisse romande, providing innovative teaching in a bilingual environment.
GEMS Wellington International School, Dubai
- Location: Dubai, UAE
- Description: GEMS Wellington International School offers the IB curriculum to students aged 3 to 18.
Global College, Spain
- Location: Spain
- Grade: 11th and 12th grade
- Annual Tuition: €15,000 – €16,800
- Description: A coeducational residential and day school in Spain providing a superior education.
Nord-Anglia International School Prague, Czech Republic
- Location: Prague, Czech Republic
- Description: An English-speaking residential school in one of Europe’s most attractive cities.
Ractliffe College, UK
- Location: United Kingdom
- Annual Tuition: €13,381 – €18,221
- Description: A coeducational Catholic institution with a co-curriculum.
Sainte Victoria International School, France
- Location: France
- Grade: KG – 12th grade
- Tuition: €10,200 – €17,900
- Description: A bilingual primary to high school offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma and IGCSE.
Sotogrande International School, Spain
- Location: Spain
- Grade: Preschool to 12th grade
- Tuition Fee: €7,600 – €21,900
- Description: A private coeducational day and boarding school with a focus on technology and international school promotion.
St. Edward College Malta, Malta
- Location: Malta
- Grade: Preschool through Year 13
- Boarding Cost: €15,500 – €23,900
- Description: A private school for boys with a rigorous academic standard.
St. Peter’s International School, Portugal
- Location: Portugal
- Grade: Nursery to Higher Education
- Annual Tuition: €15,800 – €16,785
- Description: A coeducational private day and boarding school known for academic excellence and skills development.
The International Academy and Boarding School of Denmark, Denmark
- Location: Denmark
- Grade: Early education through 12th grade
- Tuition: €14,400 – €17,000
- Description: A coeducational international residential school focusing on personal growth and academic achievement.
The American School of Paris – ASP, France
- Location: Paris, France
- Description: An international school offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and a variety of extracurricular activities.
World International School of Torino, Italy
- Location: Turin, Italy
- Grade: Preschool to 12th grade
- Annual Tuition: €9,900 – €14,900
- Description: An affordable boarding school offering primary, middle, and high school programs with a focus on quality education.
Which boarding school has the lowest fees?
Among the boarding schools in India with lower fees, there are a few notable options. Swarnprastha Public School, Delhi Public World School, GD Goenka Public School, Pratap Singh Memorial Sr. Sec., Nishan Public School in Karnal, Delhi Public School in Sonipat, Rockvale Academy in Kalimpong, and Cambridge High School in Panchgani, Maharashtra are some of the boarding schools known for their affordability.
What is the best country to go to boarding school?
Switzerland is often considered one of the best countries for boarding schools. It hosts several prestigious institutions such as Collège Alpin International Beau Soleil, Lyceum Alpinum Zuoz, Brillantmont International School, and Le Rosey, which are renowned for their high-quality education and picturesque surroundings.
Is boarding school expensive in the UK?
Boarding schools in the UK can be relatively expensive, with annual costs ranging from £20,000 to £30,000 for most students. The fees can vary based on factors like local or international student status.
Are there any free boarding schools in England?
State boarding schools in England offer free education but charge fees for boarding. These schools typically prioritize children who have a specific need to board and assess students’ suitability for boarding.
What is the most strict boarding school in the world?
Michaela Community School in Brent, North London, is known for its strict discipline and adherence to traditional values. It has gained a reputation for being one of the world’s strictest schools, although it does not use corporal punishment.
What country has the most boarding schools?
Boarding schools are relatively more prevalent in the United Kingdom (UK), India, China, and parts of Africa.
What is the most expensive school in Europe?
The Institut auf dem Rosenberg in St. Gallen, Switzerland, is often considered the most expensive school in the world. Tuition and boarding fees combined can exceed US$150,000, and the school is highly exclusive with a limited student body.
What age is best for boarding school?
While there’s no fixed age that’s considered best, boarding school education is commonly suitable for children between the ages of 8 to 13. However, the right age can vary based on individual circumstances and preferences.
What is the most expensive boarding school in Europe?
Institut Le Rosey in Rolle, Switzerland, is one of the most expensive boarding schools in Europe, with high fees and a focus on language education. It is often referred to as the ‘school of kings’ due to its royal alumni.
Can international students go to boarding school in the UK?
Yes, international students can attend boarding schools in the UK. Many boarding schools in the UK are open to students from around the world, and some have specific programs to accommodate international students.
How much is a boarding school in Scotland?
The fees for boarding schools in Scotland can vary, but as an example, for a Senior (Boarding) student, it can be around £13,943 per term.
What age do children go to boarding school in England?
Children can start boarding as young as 7 or 8, although most pupils begin boarding at ages 11 or 13.
Why do British children go to boarding school?
British parents often send their children to boarding schools for several reasons, including smaller class sizes, more individualized support, and preparation for university life.
Why do kids go to boarding school in the UK?
Older students may choose to go to boarding school full-time, particularly towards sixth form, to have more focused preparation for exams and university applications. Boarding schools provide them with independence and responsibility for their studies.
How to apply for boarding school in the UK?
To enroll your child in a UK boarding school, follow these steps: Register online, participate in getting to know the school, match your child to the right boarding schools, complete the school applications, prepare for interviews and school assessments, consider offers and acceptance, and ensure your child obtains the necessary student visa and guardianship.
Finding an affordable boarding school in Europe is possible, and this list provides a variety of options across different countries. These schools offer quality education and various programs to suit your child’s needs and interests. When considering boarding schools, it’s important to explore the specific offerings, curriculum, and location to find the best fit for your child.